Prior to a marriage ceremony in Iowa, you are required to obtain a License to Marry from a local County Registrar/Recorder
If you are unable to visit our office to obtain a marriage application, please contact our office at 515-576-2401 or email email@example.com
- Marriages in Iowa are between two people who are
- 18 years of age and older;
- Not already or still legally married to someone else or each other;
- Not closely related by blood or first cousins; and
- Legally competent to enter into a civil contract.
- To apply for a marriage license the couple intending to marry and one witness (someone that is acquainted with the couple and is 18 years of age or older) must come into the office and fill out the application (or complete, have notarized, and mail back to us the completed application with fee - see below). The applicants and witness must all present a current government issued photo I.D. for notarization. The fee is $35.00 (Webster County does not accept personal checks for Vital Records). Once the license has been applied for, there will be a 3 business day wait. The couple will need to come back in after the 3 day wait to obtain the marriage packet. To obtain a 3-day waiver, there is an additional fee of $5.00, and it must be signed by a District Judge within the same judicial district as the county in which you wish your license issued
Date of Application Valid Date of License Monday Friday Tuesday Saturday Wednesday Sunday Thursday Monday Friday Tuesday
- Minors: Persons aged 16 and 17 may only marry with special permission from a judge and should request a "Consent for Minor to Marry" form when making application for their marriage license. Complete the form and present it to a judge within the same judicial district as the county in which you wish your license issued. The Clerk of District Court office can provide additional information. Return the signed form in order to complete the marriage application process.
What Officiants need to know to solemnize a marriage
To set up an appointment with a magistrate for your wedding ceremony:
Monday through Friday
Between 8:00 am and 12:00 noon ONLY (try to avoid 9:00 am to 10:00 am)
Magistrate weddings will be held at the Webster County Law Enforcement Center,
702 1st Avenue South, 2nd Floor, Courtroom #2, Fort Dodge Iowa 50501
The three magistrates in Webster County:
Magistrate Stephen Kersten
Magistrate William Habhab
Magistrate Sarah Livingston
Magistrates are available during nonduty hours and at other locations for a fee.