Military Discharge Records

Thank you to all members of our Military,
in all branches, past and present, living and departed.

DD214 Press Release 9-30-22
Discharge Records (DD Form 214)

The Recorder’s Office has on permanent record, military discharges that have been presented for recording by the veterans themselves or the U.S. government agency.

Pursuant to Iowa Code Chapter 331.608(6), notwithstanding section 22.2, subsection 1, such record shall be confidential and shall not be made available for examination or copying except as follows:

  • To the person who is the subject of the record, to a member of that person’s immediate family, or to that person’s agent or representative duly authorized in writing.
  • To a person requesting to examine or copy a record when the event that resulted in the record being made occurred more than sixty-two (62) years prior to the request. However, the recorder shall redact any social security number included in a record made available pursuant to this paragraph.
  • To a person who is a funeral director licensed pursuant to chapter 156 and who has custody of the body of a deceased veteran.
  • When otherwise ordered by a court of competent jurisdiction.
  • When otherwise required by a department or agency of the federal or state government or a political subdivision. The recorder shall make these records available to the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. The Department of Veterans Affairs and its employees shall be subject to the same state and federal confidentiality restrictions and requirements that are imposed on the recorder.

Record Your Record

Submit legible copies of your DD214 to the County Recorder’s Office where you live. There is no fee to record the DD214. You may submit in person or through the mail to our mailing address or placed in the Webster County drop box.

Request Your Record

Copies of military discharge records recorded with the Webster County Recorder’s Office are free of charge. Veterans and entitled immediate family may request in person or complete the Military Discharge Application and return it through the mail to our mailing address or the Webster County drop box.

For all Military records not recorded in Webster County, you may request a copy from the National Personal Records Center.

Military Tax Exemption

Visit the Webster County Assessor’s website for more information regarding Military Tax Exemption.